When your condominium costs go up, your profits shrink. And with the U.S. Department of Energy estimating that lighting in the U.S. constitutes about 22 percent of all electricity used, it’s safe to say that any condominium manager would like to save money if they could. An efficient condo lighting upgrade and installation can have major benefits.
But why LEDs from a provider like SIB Lighting?
The Many Benefits of LED Lighting in Condominiums
Some of the benefits of LED lighting are obvious. But when you put them altogether, you see a very different—and much more compelling—picture of what it really means to upgrade your lighting:
- LED lights save money. When you’re talking about upgrading an entire condominium building with LED lights, the savings add up—in a hurry. New England Condo noted the case of Palace Pier, in which a switch from halogen lighting to Light-Emitting Diodes (LED) will save about $40,000 per year, or the equivalent of one employee’s salary. All while enhancing the longevity and quality of the lighting itself.
- LEDs are better for the environment. In the previous example of Palace Pier, an estimated 110-reduction in greenhouse gas emission was also seen after the intensive renovation, much of which is due to the improvements in energy efficiency. It’s possible to both “go” green and “save” green at the same time—if you utilize the right technology.
- Drastic reduction of overall power usage. The Masters Condominiums, a complex of just four buildings, was able to register the following statistics: reduction of over 400,000 kWh and an annual return on investment of 67%. Their annual cost savings of over $40,000 echoed the results seen at Palace Pier. Perhaps this is due to the fact that an LED will only require some 10% of the energy of an incandescent light bulb. When you’re talking about that much efficiency, it’s not difficult to save money.
More Than Just Dollars and Cents—Why Condominiums Should Refit with LED Lighting
If the above reasons weren’t enough, there are other considerations when it comes to lighting that only experienced condominium managers will realize. And when you upgrade to the right lighting, it makes your job a lot easier:
- LED lights run cooler than traditional lighting. A lot of energy is wasted in the form of heat when you use incandescent bulbs. One of the most obvious immediate changes in upgrading to LED is that so much less energy is lost to heat. This makes the lighting more efficient while also saving on air conditioning bills. (Source: GoGreenLighting)
- CFL’s have two chief disadvantages: they contain mercury and therefore cannot be put in the trash and have a life expectancy of only 2-5 years, it’s safe to say that if you use these lights, they’re going to become an issue sooner rather than later.
If you want to save money on your own condominium complex while simultaneously upgrading to more reliable and efficient technology, then look no further than your lighting systems. Contact SIB Lighting to find out more about how we can check out your site and figure out the right LED lighting systems for you—all while saving you money and ensuring a longer-lasting lighting solution for your condos.